- Story Ideas
- Send Corrections
(Updated 10:15 a.m.) BIRDSBORO — Flames and smoke billowed out of the house at 102 North Walnut Wednesday morning.
Neighbors gathered to watch the effort and comfort the owners.
Seamus Dixon, a neighbor, believes the fire started in the kitchen.
“I looked out my window and I saw the other cars parked here, I wondered what was going on. Then I came out and I saw the flames shooting out of the kitchen window,” said Theresa Dixon.
Seamus Dixon said that one of the owners was home at the time and tried to save some of the animals. But he had to prevent her from going back in once the fire got too big. A firefighter rescued a grey cat from the blaze.
Theresa Dixon said there may have been three dogs, a Macaw and an unknown number of cats in the house.
The couple’s children were at school, Seamus Dixon said.
The fire worked its way up the back of the house and into the attic. While firefighters were battling the blaze, flames shot out of a third story back window.
Check back here for more updates on this story.
EARLIER VERSION OF THIS STORY
BIRDSBORO — A house in the 100 block of North Walnut Street in the borough is on fire. The call came in shortly before 9 a.m.
The two-alarm fire appeared to be in the back of the structure and affecting the roofline.
It was unknown if anyone was home at the time of the fire.
Mercury staff are on scene.
Check back here for updates on this story.